Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hometown Heroes

 
The following facebook post was put on our Coronation and Area Buy and Sale today.  As I was scanning facebook I came upon it and commented as well that this was a kind and practical action and response to the devastation in High River, Alberta.  Nonni lives in Coronation but she did come from Calgary.  I won't go into much because I would probably get it wrong and if she wants to comment later and explain her connection to Calgary and High River she sure can do that!  Right Nonni??  Another thing about Nonni is that she is a wonderful and caring person.  When we were planning our Coronation Centennial Celebrations for 2011 we desperately needed someone with catering experience and a good knowledge of making and serving food to huge crowds of people.  I mean, I could flip the pancakes but I sure as heck couldn't coordinate it all for a thousand people!!  One of our committee members approached Nonni since she had that kind of experience.  She agreed to help us!  Yay!!  What a relief!  I know it is two years later but I want to nominate (nominations closed) Nonni Anderson as our Volunteer of the Year!  She was great.  Her whole family came to celebrate Coronation's Centennial.  Keep in mind these are people, with the exception of her daughter and family who live in town, who did not even live in Coronation.  They came, they camped out in and around her yard, they entered in the slo pitch tournament and they all helped to prepare and serve one of the suppers.  What a group!  I was amazed and I am still amazed at their generosity and good cheer throughout all this.  Nonni not only attended all the meals (Saturday's breakfast and supper, Sunday's breakfast and supper, Monday's breakfast) and supervised, but she also took in her family's ball games.  I know there were a lot of other people who were busy and working very hard that weekend as well and kudos to them  as well.  Without you we would not have been able to have such a successful and memorable Centennial Celebration. 
 
Anyway here is Nonni's response to an e-mail I sent everyone after the celebrations were done and over with.  I wanted their impressions, etc. 
 
Hi Bonnie,
 
I feel extremely privileged to have worked with so many fantastic volunteers. From the people that did the smallest things to those that dedicated immense hours of their time. They were a great bunch of people. I would love to be able to name them all but not only is my memory not that great but I would be sure to miss someone and that would be the unfairest of all.
 
Yes we had our glitches, but in the over all picture they were few and far between.
 
I received a call from the  Health Inspector  the following week and she was very happy with the way the event was handled. (especially since we got off to a rocky start )
 
Although I did not get to see or participate in most of the weekend events my family which ranged in age from 1 year to 38 years found something for everybody. The praised the parade, the pool, the Golf course, the ball tournament, the kids games area, the hospitality and friendliness of Coronation, the Fireworks and last but not least the food. Great comments on the look of our community and the job that was so well done by Communities in Bloom. So although this is a small number it is the only one I can verify. 33 Anderson and "other" Anderson  family members had a fantastic time.
 
As for numbers regarding meals my best guess is > a whole bunch.
 
I would like to thank the Centennial Committee for allowing me to participate in the 100th celebration. As a "new" member of this town I felt very honored to be trusted with such a monumental event.
 
As for things that we could have done better >> NONE.. With the varied amount of volunteers and events the organization by this committee was outstanding.
 
There are probably a thousand other things I'd like to comment on but all I can think of at this point is how absolutely proud this town should be of a job well done by all.
 
Nonni


 
I don't think I need to say one more word about the character of Nonni Anderson.  Below is her post.  She works at Value Drugs in Coronation if you want to get a gift card to her before the required date.

  I am so proud to know you Nonni! 
 
 
 
Nonni Anderson
 
The group of small communities surrounding Coronation have come together to help the Grads of High River. This was a fabulous heartwarming effort. After spending a day in High River there are not really any material things that can be sent at this time as there is nowhere to utilize everyday items such as dishes , furniture etc. BUT on the High River support site the idea of hand to hand donations is something we can participate in. Purchase a gift card for groceries, clothing, dinner, movies, Tim Hortons etc. There are gift cards for just about anything you can think of. Any restaurant to provide an evening away to enjoy a meal, movie night out with the kids away from the devastation, Walmart for many needs while in temporary housing, gas cards for the huge amount of travel back and forth to their homes for clean up. These cards are available in most stores. Value Drugs here in town or Stettler or Red Deer or anywhere you might be. Visa and Mastercard gift cards can be used for things that they feel they need the most. Most cards start at $25.00. I will be going back to High River on the weekend of the 20th and will be willing to drop off any cards we can collect. Your name and address will accompany the card you send. Cards can be dropped off with me at Value Drugs Coronation any time between now and Friday July 19th.
Last day of Centennial and still looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment