Friday, October 11, 2013

Quite a ride

Well it has been quite a ride these past few days trying to pack and get ready for our holiday and checking out some of the Facebook rants.

The Advance Poll was yesterday and I am not certain how many went and cast their ballot.  Hopefully those who cannot make it for Oct. 21st went if they are at all interested.

I say that tongue in cheek because after all the firestorms caused by some comments about other candidates.......and then the vindictiveness towards me...........wow.  I had to admit I had a knot in my gut for a while over all of that.  All I can say is that when you put your name out there for Public Office you might get a comment or two and believe me some of the comments may not be flattering!

I am trying to rise above it.  I used to do that - the unflattering comment stuff - when I worked for the Coronation Review.  Yes I had my fun.  I poked fun at certain Councillors, I criticized, I ranted a bit.  I didn't get much feedback but my first clue that something was wrong was when some of them crossed the street to walk on the other side when they saw me coming!  My second clue was when the paper appeared at the Council Meeting and was waved in my face!

Then I became a Councillor.  It was actually easy the first time because there was not an election.  I was basically out of the loop and I realized that at the first meeting because it was all prearranged in regards to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor positions.  What can you do?  What can you do?  The next time around we had an election and it was a little more stressful since I had to wait for a phone call to see if I was successful or not.

I was successful and so began the journey.  I felt a little more responsible this time since I had a little more knowledge about governance, etc. and how things work.  So we had nominations for the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, and picked our committees and life went on.

I am actually disappointed in how some things went because as usual when I got in my stride and tried to hammer my point home sometimes it didn't have a successful outcome!  Other times I really should have kept my mouth shut.  Oh well, I think there were and still are hard feelings but at least it happened during the meetings where it should have happened. 

There were some things that happened that were not so pretty.  My advice to anyone who is in public office:  please do not presume to tell other groups and organizations in town what a decision of council will be before the decision is made.  Bad, very bad.  Do not do it.  If you do it, admit you did it, make amends and move on. 

All the crap on Facebook?  Well, I didn't start it did I?  I probably have a slim chance of getting enough votes to sit at the council table again.  If the electorate does not cast their ballot for me because of all of this then so be it.  I would rather I got their vote because I am for Coronation and I am for spending our tax dollars as wisely as possible. 

I  care about the community but I have to admit if I do not get back on Council I am not so sure how available I will be for anything such as volunteer groups or helping out by sitting on the odd board or committee.  I think I would just take a break from it all.

Cheers to all and please vote one way or another since it is one of the few democratic rights that we have.

1 comment: