Thursday, October 10, 2013

And one more thing

I broke my own rules by commenting on something.  So I will just copy and paste now.

Oh and by the way, no mud slinging is coming from me. I would like to remind people that I don't have to sling anything, people's records speak for themselves and most thinking people can read between the lines. I have enjoyed every minute of my six years on Coronation Town Council and I have worked very hard to prepare myself and to attend meetings and events both in and out of town. I do not think it is a fault to speak my mind and I do so with no apologies. I have a brain and I use it and I am proud to say that I think of each and every citizen in Coronation when I am in "councillor" mode. I am especially thinking of all the taxpayers in town - and those who pay taxes as a business. I would like to ask them where they think their tax dollars are going? Are they staying here at home to promote, market and develop Coronation, or are they flying out of town to some innocuous organization that they have never heard of?? Just ask.

Our job as a Council is to govern and to keep the citizens of Coronation in mind with everything that we do and with every motion that we make.  I voted to not send the money out of town - AGAIN - and others thought they should just let it go and cave in to pressure that certainly does not come from the taxpayer let me tell you.

I was there in June 2010 when the hall was filled with angry and upset people.  Two business owners in town - who do not even live here but pay big money in taxes to run their businesses - were so upset that they paid money to advertise on a billboard.  They encouraged the citizens to go to the council meeting.  At the time we held our Council meetings in the meeting room at the hall.

The people started pouring in through the meeting room door.  I opened the doors to the main hall while the rest of the councillors and the mayor sat there with stupefied looks on their faces.  I opened the doors and I had to tell the rest of them to set up a table and put the chairs out.  I did that, not anybody else.  I sat there and I listened while the mayor at the time gave a little speech about not being able to run the town anymore because the county doesn't give us enough money for recreation and the fire department.  Oh yeah he said that and now he would probably deny it.  So what.  He never came to another meeting after that.  He resigned - four months before the election.  I spoke up and said something that I can't even remember now and I even got some appreciative applause.  Thank you for that.

The point of all this is that I would like to be appreciated for standing up for the town of Coronation instead of caving in to outside forces every time an issue arises.  I stand up for all the businesses in town.  I know what kind of taxes you pay and I would like you to get value for your tax dollar.  If others on council do not see it that way by voting to send the money out of town then perhaps you should ask them why.

No comments:

Post a Comment