Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mosquitoes and determination

So....today will be day three of the "training".  It is Sunday and I am wondering if maybe it should be the day of rest.  This is a different program than what I am used to following but I am going to stick to it since I love a plan and I love it even better when somebody else maps it out for me.  That way I do not have to think....just do.  On Friday I was up very early since I had to work at seven in the morning.  After work I ran around doing things that I had put off doing earlier on in the week.  I told my husband he was in charge of supper since I couldn't think of anything to have anyway and I headed out for my 6 km "run" around five o'clock - roughly twelve hours since I pulled myself out of bed to start the day.
I sprayed myself with OFF and away I went. I set my watch (yes I tested it and did it properly this time) and had it set for intervals of 1 minute 30 seconds with a 30 second walk in between.  I found my little belt holder thing from Running Room and filled my bottle with water, not the right water bottle because I couldn't find that one.  The temperatures were lovely and warm and the day was sunny all day long making for nice running conditions.
The OFF didn't work very well; I should have used more heavy duty stuff.  The mosquitoes were everywhere and my arms got a good work out slapping at the little bloodsuckers as they came in for a landing.  I did not let that deter me and I tried to stick to my running and walking intervals.  I let my mind wander to more happier times when I had resolved to never put myself through this torture.  I don't know why I would want to revisit the sore hip joints, lower back pain and aching feet.  Why oh why do I do this to myself?  I know the answer and I tried to avoid it to no avail.  Songs always go through my head as I "run" but I was getting sick of the Black Forest Polka. To get the Polka music out of my head my mantra becomes:  "You paid for this; accept the pain." and "Watch those pounds melt off."
Soon I was no longer able to keep up with my plan as I reached the last little stretch before the turn around at the cemetery.  The rest of the way home I only broke out into enthusiastic running when a vehicle approached.  Well.....I didn't want them to think I was just out for a little walk, no way, I am a "runner".
Laugh out loud if you want but it works, especially if there is a lot of traffic.  It took me about forty-five minutes to go the distance which is not too bad really.
Last night I discovered that I had gone too far.  Oh no!  The plan has been compromised already.  It was only supposed to be a 4K run and I went 6; well almost, but who's telling.  So today it is supposed to be 6K.  I guess I could go 4 and get away with it but I have a running partner and if we talk during our walks it will probably turn into 6.
I have my watch set for a minute and thirty second run and a two minute walk.  I like the recovery time better than just a mere thirty seconds.  Half a minute doesn't even give me a chance to swat at the mosquitoes and take a drink of water.
We'll see how today goes.  I have more powerful mosquito spray; still haven't found the right water bottle; ten thirty is a different time to go out; who knows what will happen.  I do love an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment