Thursday, July 10, 2014

On vacation

You would think that with all the extra time on my hands that I would be blogging like crazy.   I have had a few ideas and mini rants but I found other things to do and my blog was silent.  Now as I sit in a camp site in Peachland, B.C. with my trusty lap top on my knee and a cup of coffee to fortify my "morning" brain I feel inspired once again!  I think this could be a travel blog if I put my mind to it; but then that would be work.

I managed to take some vacation days and get eleven whole days off - in a row!  Wow.  Bernie was registered to ride the Granfondo again in Penticton on July 13th so we worked our vacation around that event.  Two years ago we stayed at a tiny postage stamp sized campground called "Camp Along" south of Penticton.  Last year we ended up right in Penticton at a lovely place called "Park Royal RV".  I tried to get us in again this year but I was too late.  I guess one has to make reservations in January or February.  So we ended up in Peachland at "Todd's RV and Camping".

We left on July 7th and stayed our usual two nights at Whispering Spruce in Golden.  That campground is kind of going to seed but the operator was friendly.  We arrived in the blistering heat around 7:45 p.m.  The sites are pull throughs so it was easy parking and setting up.  I didn't do any of the driving, I just directed as usual!  Of course there was a problem - there are always problems.  This time it was the campground's sewer which was not working.  Those people who were leaving the next day were advised to leave by 10 a.m. since the road leading in would be dug up.  We were not really affected by any of that anyway since we were staying two nights.  We were also not charged as much since we were in a full service site and did not have full service.  That's a bonus.

We left the dogs in the air conditioned trailer the next afternoon while we drove into Golden to find a grocery store.  After all the packing and stocking I still forgot a few things like milk and eggs. 

We had a new lock installed on the door of the trailer so we didn't have any door issues when we got back to our camp site.  I had visions of last year running through my mind and I did not want a repeat of that gong show.  I think I am a few pounds slimmer but I still did not want to be crawling in through the storage area and slithering my body through a small opening under the bed all the while trying to comfort frantic dogs. 

The truck was making a funny noise when we started it up to go downtown but it quit so we didn't worry about it.  I have my fingers crossed!  Bernie doesn't seem concerned so I will let him handle that one. 

The weather forecast said it would be hot again on the 9th so we decided to leave really early in the morning for Peachland.  We hooked up the night before and got to bed at an earlier hour.  I found it hard to get to sleep because our neighbours were having way too much fun.  I thought I talked loud.......wow......I have met my rival!

The day got hotter and hotter.  Even though we left at 6:30 a.m. (7:30 our time but the time changed about an hour or so into our journey west) it was a heater.  We pulled over for a bathroom break and a little rest after passing by Revelstoke and that was about the only stopping we did.  We stopped for gas in a little place by Vernon and we arrived at Todd's RV and Camping at 1:00 p.m.  The owner showed us where to park and he directed Bernie with the backing up into our little spot.  I was glad about that because no matter what I do it is not right when it comes to "helping" with the trailer parking and maneuvering.  Phew!!! 

We set everything up, lowered the canopy and turned on the AC.  The Blue Jays game was on and Bernie watched that in comfort.  He had a big long sleep before the game was even over.  It was a well deserved rest since it was a long day of driving. 

There is free WiFi, cable t.v., showers, a communal firepit, children's playground and a beach volleyball area.  We are right across Beach Ave. from.......the beach! 

We took the dogs for a little walk when it cooled off a bit.  Their tongues were still hanging out because it reached 33 degrees and it sure didn't cool off much. 

It is a nice little campground that is family owned and operated.  Apparently the Todd family purchased the property many years ago and one day someone asked if they could pitch their tent there.  That was the beginning of their campground history and it has been in business for 58 years.  Maybe we could start something similar in Coronation.  Our yard could accommodate a tent or two and a few trailers.  We'll see. 

I went for a long walk today and found an IGA store, etc. about a five minute walk away.  I then walked all the way to the downtown area.  I was gone about an hour and I just stopped briefly for a cold drink.  I bought a PEPSI NEXT which I thought was like a Diet Pepsi.  I should have read the label since it is only 30 percent less sugar.  I won't be buying one of those again but it was enough to quench my thirst.

Now I am just relaxing in my chair, having a Cappuccino and watching people come and go.  The dogs are relaxed.  Duke is inside the trailer with the AC on and Sarge is lounging on Bernie's knee outside!  It's a dog's life if you ask me. 








1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha "I have met my rival" sounds like you are having a good start to the vacay, soak up that vitamin D

    ReplyDelete