Sunday, December 8, 2013

Doing a whole lot of nothing


I have been doing a whole lot of nothing these past three weeks.  It will soon be a month since I had foot surgery to repair a very painful bunion.  Now I hobble around.  At first I used crutches, then a walker and now a cane.  I wear a "bunion boot" on my right foot which is designed with a wedge type heel so as not to allow any weight on the front of the foot.  On good days I just take off on my two feet and on bad days I use the cane or walker.  I haven't really had one whole good day but I know I will!
 
There is not much I can do about it.  Well.....I could have chosen not to have the surgery and then I would just be carrying on as usual.  I decided that wasn't an option since I was in a lot of pain and to top it all off my other foot is just as bad.  I am hoping to get the left foot fixed in the not so distant future.  I am looking forward to the day when my feet do not hurt!
 
If anything I could use it as an excuse for a grumpy and argumentative disposition; but I won't.  Well, maybe. 
 
All of this has given me a new outlook on some things.  I used to work for Home Care and I am glad that I have that knowledge to help me with basic every day ordinary things that we take for granted.  Each time I haul myself in and out of the bath tub I mutter a silent prayer.   I think about all the people I have assisted in their own homes and how I went about it.  Every time I take that long walk from one end of my house to the other I also say a word of thanks that I realized the dangers of scatter rugs, slippery floors and good shoes! 
 
We have two little dogs who leave their toys strewn about the living room floor and I pay a lot of attention to that whilst maneuvering around the house.  The dogs also tend to bring the snow indoors sometimes.  Snow melts and leaves puddles of water that can make life interesting while I am hopping around on one good foot.
 
So far I haven't tripped or slipped on anything.  I have ventured outside a couple of times.  Getting in and out of the truck is not easy with all the snow.  I have a patient husband who wants to help and who gets hollered at sometimes when he is not right there to offer assistance.  Sorry about that.  I have some friends left who inquire about my health both physical and mental, so life is not all that bad!
 
I am also very grateful for my basic good health and fitness level at this time.  Why do I say this?  Well for starters I vowed to lose at least five pounds before the surgery.  Thus the following quote from the Canadian Arthritis Society:   "Just 10 pounds of excess weight can put you at greater risk of developing osteoarthritis (OA) in your knees. Did you know that losing 10 pounds of excess weight decreases stress on your knees by 40 pounds? By increasing physical activity and exercise, you can make a difference to your joints and overall health."
 
That was enough for me and I thought that even a small weight loss would be better than nothing at all to relieve the stress on my feet.  Anyone who has had sore feet could appreciate what I am saying.  Mine were beyond sore, they were hell.  To top it all off I haven't worked since the end of June because of the herniated disc in my back.  I was scared that the back pain would prevent me from getting around at all once I had the foot surgery!  Oh my god......what has happened to me?
 
I found that it wasn't all that hard to shed a few pounds even though I haven't been all that active.  With the decline in physical activity came a diminished appetite.  I didn't lose ten pounds but I did lose five so that was 20 pounds less stress on the joints.  Mission accomplished.
 
Before the surgery and then just in the past few days I had a hellish stomach virus that totally incapacitated me as well.  There was no way I was going to eat anything after being so sick so that helped.  I wouldn't recommend it as a weight loss technique.
 
I am grateful for all the months of Boot Camp for the past two years.   Thank you Kendra!  I toughened myself up and believe me I am proud that at 59 years of age I can do an "almost" one leg squat.  It helps to get out of tough situations where I am sitting in a spot that is lower than I want to sit.  I am also proud that I forced myself to do all those push ups.  It sure helped when I found myself teetering and tottering on crutches in the middle of the night.  There is nothing like conditioning to get through the tough moments.
 
 
 
I meant to take a picture of my foot before surgery but I forgot.  So I took a picture of my left foot.  It is bad but not as bad as the one that is now fixed.  Then I took a series of pictures to show the progress of the right foot. 
 
 


So this was a week later after I got the stitches out.  It is healing nicely.  One of my friends said I had the ugliest feet she's ever seen.  When she saw my foot after the surgery she said, "That's better!"  LOL is all I can do.

Well that's probably enough about the feet.  What a topic.  It is my blog and I can blog about whatever I feel like and if you have read it - good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment