Thursday, February 4, 2010

I was sad all day today.  We are starting our homeward journey tomorrow.  I don't want to go....wahhhhh!  I moped around all day.  We went for gas and took the dog for two long walks.  Bernie did a few things outside to get the trailer ready and I cleaned some cupboards and put the barbecue away.  In between times I checked e-mails, etc.  I have caused quite a stir at home with a letter to the editor that I wrote.  I won't get into it. If you want to know more just ask.

We will go as far as Mesquite, NV tomorrow and from there we'll decide how far to go the next day. 

We really enjoyed our stay in southern California and for sure we want to come back every winter.  We like Campland on the Bay and we have checked out some different campsites on the other side of the campground from where we are located in the hopes of reserving one of them for next year.  We just need to decide which months would be the best to go.  Ideally November-March would be nice but I don't know if we can manage it. 

The hardest part for us is to go home now to the cold and snow.  We have to re-winterize the trailer which is so depressing!  We are just going to blow the air out of the lines tomorrow morning before we leave and put anti-freeze in the traps.  We have a small heater which we use instead of cranking up the furnace and using up all the propane but we can use it if we have to.   I am just not looking forward to preparing for the cold.

We liked it in San Diego since there were so many things to see and do and if we just wanted to hang out at the campground all day that was all right too.  We found a Vons store close by on Garnet Avenue and a CVS Pharmacy in the same area.  Vons is like a Safeway and we could even use our Safeway card there for a discount! 

Gas prices are crazy here.  They range anywhere from $2.85 a gallon to $3.19.  At most gas stations here if you pay with a credit card you have to pay ten cents more a gallon.  Today it cost us $56.00 for 3/4 of a tank.  It is still cheaper than at home.  The sales tax is 8.75% and that is very high in my opinion.

We purchased a telephoto lens for the camera at a Target Store in Chula Vista and a new laptop at a Staples here in San Diego.  We found a nice little camera store in Chula Vista where we were able to purchase two little items that we really really needed and that we were not able to find until then:  lens cap holder/savers/thingamadoies.  Ha ha.  That's what I call them.  They are little things that stick on the middle of the lens cap and have an elastic that fits around the lens.  Then the lens cap can just dangle there while you take pictures.  We thought we got a pretty good deal on the lap top - HP Notebook with a 17.3" screen.  Even with the exchange rate on the US dollar I think we did pretty good.  Bernie installed Windows 7 on it and we will figure everything else out when we get home.  It is larger than most because it has a numeric keypad.  I don't really use it anyway but maybe I will.  I am old school - I was taught to "type" and the numbers are at the top of the keyboard.

It was a wonderful time and I am sorry that it is over.  Alas, I have to work on February 12th so we must go home.  Then of course I have meetings to go to and curling games.  We also bowl and it will be fun to get back into that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment